Saturday 27 December 2014

My Year In Writing, 2014

Well, it's time for the traditional 'year in review' post. I recommend all writers (published and otherwise) take on this annual exercise. I've found going through the year a great way to re-examine my original goals and help set new ones for 2015.

Here are my posts for 2012 and 2013.

January

Sent in first round of edits to Nimbus for BUSGIRL BLUES.

Not the real cover, but fun to look at.

After receiving rejections for THE ASP from agents, I made the decision to query publishing houses who accept unsolicited manuscripts. I reasoned since BB was going to be published at the end of the year, I wasn't shy about being my own agent.

NIGHT SHIFT gains a large audience on Wattpad and readers ask about a sequel.

My most popular post for the month is my recap of the first episode of The Bachelor "Girls Just Juanna Have Fun."


February

A few rejections roll in for THE ASP. We have a cold snap in Halifax and everyone wants to move to Hawaii.

But I hardly notice because...THE OLYMPICS!!!!!

Post first chapter of BLACK FRIDAY (NIGHT SHIFT #2) on Wattpad.

Most popular post of the month is "Dropping the F Bomb in YA"


March

I receive an offer of publication for THE ASP by Fierce Ink Press!

Completed second round of edits for BB and discussed cover ideas and new title options. Since BUSGIRL BLUES was published online, Nimbus wanted the book to have an updated look of its own.

My family and I travel to Australia!

I took this on the ferry coming back from Manly Beach.

Most popular blog post that month is "Ten Book Scenes I'd Love to Experience"

April

New title for debut novel will be, BUTTERFLIES DON'T LIE. The editor and I discuss cover options. Good times!

My bosom buddy and kindred spirit, Jen Swann Downey launched her middle grade action adventure, THE NINJA LIBRARIANS: THE ACCIDENTAL KEYHAND!

Most popular blog post for month is my recap of Once Upon A Time, Season 3, Episode 17 "The Jolly Roger"


May

Begin second round of edits on BUTTERFLIES DONT' LIE.

Fierce Ink Press does a fantastic press release for the THE ASP. Add it on Goodreads...or not, whatever, totally up to you. Keep reading.

Most popular post of the month is "Top Five Reasons Why Andrew Garfield is a Better Spiderman than Tobey Macguire"

June

My awesome writer friend, Ann Marie Walker lands a three...I said a THREE book deal with Penguin Books for her contemporary romance novels, the Chasing Fire series. It's hot...believe me, I was a beta for the first book. REMIND ME comes out April 2015!

My editor and I finalize cover for BUTTERFLIES DON'T LIE!


My family and I adopt a senior dog. Cody is a nine year old cocker spaniel and he is the BEST thing that happened to our family this year.




Most popular blog post of the month is "Six YA Books to Match Your Every Mood This Summer"


July

I started a non-fiction series for Wattpad called Write On! about tips and encouragement for writers.



TV/film crew use my house to film Ramona's murder scene in Stephen King's BIG DRIVER. Our kitchen has never been so famous.

Sent off last round of edits for BUTTERFLIES DON'T LIE.

Most popular blog post of month is "Which Storybrooke Bachelor is Your Best Match"


August

Sent off first round of edits to Fierce Ink Press for THE ASP.

Enjoyed camping and sunsets with family.


Most popular blog post of month is "Sophia Veragara and I Talk About Being Sexy"


September

Book launch for BUTTERFLIES DON'T LIE! Freaky, it feels like just yesterday. I remember it was super hot, like 32 degrees Celsius or something.



Most popular blog post of month is "Top Ten Things Downton Abbey and Outlander Have in Common"


October

I was exhausted from all the book launch excitement. I spent some time catching up on my reading. I really enjoyed Everyday by David Leviathan.

Sent out a few queries for NIGHT SHIFT since it was doing so well on Wattpad.

Most popular blog post for month is "Once Upon A Time, Season 4, Episode 4 "The Apprentice"

November

Book signings! I discovered I'm good at keeping eye contact with strangers while luring them over to my little table of paperbacks.

Received editorial letter and notes from first round of edits on THE ASP. (Lots to do, but excited to make the story better.)

Received rejections for NIGHT SHIFT.

Most popular blog post for month is "Top Nine Reasons Why Halifax is Awesome"


December

Working on second round of edits for THE ASP.

Posted last chapter of BLACK FRIDAY on Wattpad.

Wrote this post ;)

Most popular blog post of month is "The Best Gifts for Writers"


Goals for 2015?

Get the NIGHT SHIFT series published...somehow.

Outline third novel for BUTTERFLIES DON'T LIE series.

Have Alex Pettyfer do a guest appearance at book launch for THE ASP in July 2015.

 

Dress like Wonder Woman for book launch of JUST JESSE in September 2015.

Keep writing.

Practice kindness.

Floss regularly.

Read more.


What are you writing goals for 2015?




2 comments:

Jennavier Gilbert said...

All of your goals are awesome, but I applaud the flossing our teeth one. You are an example to us all!

BR Myers said...

Never neglect your gums.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...