Wednesday 29 January 2014

My Open Letter to Book Reviewers

authorpublishingservices.com


I recently I saw a tweet in which a book blogger was hesitant to write a poor review based on her dislike of the novel.

The reason?

She didn't want to upset the author.


Let me ask this...

Who is the real audience?

Yup, that's right, the readers. Not the author.

Book reviews are for people who may consider buying/reading the book. The author has already read the book—probably a hundred times.

Here are the three top reasons I will never read reviews of my books.

#1. It won't improve my writing. That's why critique partners and editors exist.

#2. It could be filled with accolades and only one complaint, but that negative comment would stick with me. The last thing any writer needs is more self doubt.

#3. Time spent in front of the computer searching for reviews of my books is a waste of my time. Instead, I should be working on my blog, answering e-mails, paying bills, surfing Pinterest, or how about this one...writing.

I have a ton of respect and admiration for people who review books. It's hard work I tell you. HARD WORK. I hated doing book reports in school. But these 'consumers of all things written' do it because they LOVE it...and for FREE.

There's this girl, Amy Mathers, and she's doing something above and beyond.

She's embarking on a journey to read one Canadian-authored book every day of the year. She'll be reading teen fiction books from every province and territory, exploring Canada and promoting Canadian teen authors and books by finishing a book a day for each day of 2014. She will write a review for each book she reads, and invites people to share their thoughts on the books she reads too.

Amy's marathon will raise money for the The Canadian Children's Book Centre in order to endow a Canadian teen book award to be presented at the yearly Canadian Children’s Literature Awards gala.

That's 365 book reviews, people! Anne Shirley would be ever so impressed!

In advance of my YA novel, Busgirl Blues, coming out this fall, I want to thank bloggers out there who will read my book. I won't read your review, but I thank you for taking the time.

Now go follow Amy on twitter, facebook and check out her website.

And here's some advice on how to handle a snarky review.

Congratulations! You made it to the end of the post. As a reward, please enjoy this Gravity Falls short!

3 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

That is an amazing quest Amy is on! You go, girl! And I can't wait to read your books, Bethany. I'm sure they'll be worthy of some great reveiws. =)

Laila N Mysis said...

I feel like you wrote this for me... though I don't have Twitter. I just don't like writing bad reviews. That being said, I don't think it's about 'bad reviews' in itself - if you don't like the book, you don't like the book. I guess it's just more about how you write your bad review. Despite who the review is being written for, I think some people tend to overdo it, don't they, in all their nastiness? I donno...

But this helped alleviate the guilty feeling I get for not liking some books ^_^

DMS said...

Amy sounds like she is embarking on a fascinating journey and what a cool way to spend a year. :) Wishing her the best of luck- she will be busy!

I enjoyed your post and it gave me a lot to think about. :)
~Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...